Thursday 10 August 2017

Covered Bridges, Steam Trains and Cornfield Dining

My last full day in Pennsylvania has turned out to be one of the most rewarding. I started my day by visiting Pennsylvania's covered bridges. These wonderful structures appear to be unique to the USA. I first became interested in them after seeing 'The Bridges of Madison County' starring Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep.



A couple taking a stroll through this lovely bridge.


Severe penalties for setting fire to the bridge. $5,000 must have been a lot of money in 1939





Near the last bridge was this great post-box (mail box)


.
At the entrance to the Strasburg Railway stands this great carriage.


I'm guessing that this car is the one that carries all the Thanksgiving turkeys.


Our train arriving to pick up us up for this heritage trip.



Passengers disembarking.


Some Mennonite women passengers.


Train interior.


Water tower - steam trains get through a lot of water.


Now setting off with the train engine going backwards.





Everywhere we passed groups of people would wave at the train even motorists stopped at crossings would lean out and wave.


Great views from the open carriages.
 

Now that we've reached the end of the line the engine reverses direction to pull us back to the station.


Flying saucer? No just some with a drone getting a good look at our train.


Great view from the open platform.



Miniature train passengers checking out our train.

 


I asked the stationmaster about his watch. He said it dates from 1915. Notice how he discretely hides his iPad behind his back. He said he didn't want to destroy the atmosphere of the photograph.


Very friendly and happy staff at Strasburg.


Our carriage awaits. Cinderella got a glass carriage; we got straw bales in an open trailer and no prince charming.




We travelled on the open highway and then turned into a cornfield. I was glad no one mentioned the Stephen King film 'Children of the Corn'



This is me trying to appear nonchalant while the straw digs into my bare legs.



And this is me looking relieved now the straw/kilt problem has been sorted.



This is the covered area in the cornfield where we had our delicious meal. I had spent so much time eating and talking and answering questions about my kilt that by the time I took these photos most people had moved outside.


This is the owner of Bird in Hand restaurant who arranged our outdoor feast giving a talk and answering questions on the difference between the local Amish, Mennonites and Quaker groups. There is more information on his establishment at https://bird-in-hand.com/our-history/


Appreciative audience.


Tractors lining up to take us back.


Kids got on with their game while the adults listened to music.


Very talented young players kept us entertained.


I have now met another wonderful couple, Shirlie and Bob, who took me under their wing and looked after me, Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Love the kilt. Gobblers Knob is the site of the Groundhog Day Festivities in the movie Groundhog Day with Bill Murray set in Punxsutawney, PA.

    ReplyDelete

The Last Post

I am now back in Forres, Scotland. I would like to thank everyone I met on my trip from East Coast to West Coast and back again to East Coas...