Thursday 17 August 2017

Canada, Oh Canada (and Niagara)

From readers of last night's blog: So what was in the envelope? My daughter and her fiancée, Ryan are getting married in October. I had moaned at Anja before I left that I wouldn't receive my invitation to their wedding until I returned from my USA trip. I had obviously overdone the moaning because when I arrived at Oscars B&B I was presented with my invitation sent by air mail from Scotland. Anja had arranged all this with the owners of the B&B.





Me receiving my invitation and close-up of invite. Anja, I'm sorry but I won't be able to walk you down the aisle as I have decided to seek political asylum in Canada.









Exterior and interior shots of Oscars B&B.





The elevator shaft which takes you down to the Maid of the Mist boat. And yes, those blue dots are people who've just left the boat.



The closest falls are the American Falls, the ones in the distance are the Canadian Falls.



This is the bridge which takes you over to the Canadian side.



These might be the garments which inspired Leonard Cohen's song 'Famous Blue Raincoat'



Passengers on the Canadian boat wear red raincoats (must be flag colour thing).



Just to illustrate that Scotsman don't just look great in kilts we also look good in blue.



Boarding the Maid of the Mist.







Approaching and leaving the American Falls.



Passengers waving at the Canadian passengers (and probably coveting their red raincoats).











Arriving at the Canadian Falls is when things got really wild. I was so busy taking photos and removing spray from my lens that I didn't realise we were getting close to the falls until I heard screaming coming from the crowd.



Now it's the Canadian's turn to get soaked.



I went downstairs on the boat to find it less crowded but I don't think the experience would have been as intense.





The sister boat heading out.





This is the sight that greets you as you climb up to the viewing platforms.





People waiting in line to have their photo taken at the viewing platform.



Finally it was my turn and I could sense admiring glances from people amazed at the courage it took for me to stand on the platform on my own.









Now comes the long descent to the bottom of the elevator shaft just so we can rise up again.







This employee in the baseball cap was absolutely brilliant. He was asking each person where they were from and he said something in their language or imitated their accent although he spoiled it for me when I told him I was from Scotland and he said "You all right, mate?" in a strong Mary Poppins Cockney accent.



View from the elevator platform.



If you want to gamble just cross the border.



I do like the Canadian raincoats.



Canadian and USA boats prepare to re-enact the battle of 1812.  (The Canadians, or at least the British lost).



Saw this eagle flying over the falls (not sure of its nationality).





The power of these falls has to be seen and heard to be believed.





This is the river as it approaches the falls.





This bridge must be so strong to cope with the torrential river.






Under the bridge this seabird was taking it all in his stride (while standing on one leg) on some trapped logs.



Does this sign mean that people were crossing the bridge barefoot?



Got a better view of the bird from the bridge.

 
 
 

Saw these beautiful flowers in the Niagara park gardens

Decided to seek asylum in Canada

 So far, so good. I'm half way across to Canada.

 They let me in while they considered my application to stay. Meanwhile it was difficult to
believe I was in Canada with it's yellow school buses and adverts for Hershey Chocolate.


 






































They did have a Hard Rock Café complete with a Hard Rock singer.





And a genuine London Transport Routemaster bus.






 Just in case people back home don't believe I was in Canada here are some Canadian flags
and a Canadian fire service vehicle.

 Elvis is alive and living in Canada.





Here's the zipline...






 ... and here are the people falling towards the falls.







 If they had fallen into the falls there were two boats waiting to pick them up.

 An employee instructs the rider in the importance of extending your arms as you fall
towards the falls.



 The lady on the right hasn't been told about extending her arms. I so wanted to join the
line for this attraction but I had to wait for the result of my Canadian asylum application.


After having my asylum application rejected (it seems not wanting to go to your daughter's
wedding isn't sufficient grounds for entry to Canada) I was ejected from Canada and made
my way back across the bridge where I saw this Cruise America RV. This was the exact
model that I booked for last year's trip which I had to cancel. People on board waved as I
took their photograph.

 Near the big waterfall is this little baby waterfall which doesn't get the same attention.

 While I had been away the USA had closed its gates but fortunately they relented and let me
back in.











On the way to a restaurant tonight came across this lovely dwelling which is how people
decorate their house in an individual manner in this area of Buffalo.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hey you,ve had some day of it Daniel, I think I'd be retracting that Wedding invite if I was Anja but Awesome falls though ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fine, I've already lined up a replacement Dad who's going to stand in for you. Works out perfectly because I like him a lot more than you anyway.

    ReplyDelete

The Last Post

I am now back in Forres, Scotland. I would like to thank everyone I met on my trip from East Coast to West Coast and back again to East Coas...