Wednesday 6 September 2017

New York, I'm Gone But... I'll Be Back

Last day in NYC. So spent the morning taking a few photos for my last post from the USA. I'll put one last post on tomorrow but this time it will be posted from Scotland. And by the way, a message to Jon Stewart, host of the Daily Show for many years and constant critic of Arby's fast food. Well Jon, I had the Beef and Cheese Classic at an Arby's last night and awoke this morning with no ill effects. Well, apart from the fact that my trousers don't fit anymore.




This is Engine Co. 3 Ladder Co.12 7th Battalion Fire House.






And this is the memorial on the outside wall of the firehouse in memory of the five firefighters from the firehouse who died on September 11. Each plaque has a photo with the words 'Supreme Sacrifice September 11, 2001'. Today and every day firefighters all over the world risk their own lives to save the lives of others. Bravery seems an insufficient word for their sacrifice.



Further down from the firehouse is this display called Tiles For Mer which I believe is part of the much bigger Tiles for America project which led to thousands of hand-painted tiles being attached to fences after 9/11. The majority are now on display in a local library with these few giving an idea of what the original display looked like.


This corner shop is typical of this West Village area.


I thought this might be an art gallery but it's actually a hospital.


This machine is like a miniature Segway.


This area looks so unlike the rest of New York city with it's grid system for roads running East/West and North/South that I had to check it out.


I went and asked two people who were sitting welcoming visitors to this community garden if this area was Greenwich Village. They said it was and told me that even New Yorkers are surprised by the layout of the streets here. The invited me to take a walk around the garden.




















One of the many volunteers who look after the garden.




I had already photographed these figures elsewhere. They prove very popular with visitors and one visitor passed me his phone asking me to capture him with the figures.


This red device pre-dates mobile phones and were used to summon police or firefighters.


I found these stencils all over the local sidewalks. I stood there for several minutes without developing any superpowers so maybe you have to stand on the lettering.


This outdoor café is typical of the village atmosphere of the area.


This tree-lined area in the Village is let down by the Cesspool truck.


Sidewalk vendors don't just sell hot dogs; look at these healthy options.


I saw a mailman emptying this mailbox and realised that I still had stamped postcards from San Francisco to send off. He allowed me to add mine to his mail collection. Well done, US Postal Service, creator of the coolest eclipse stamps on the planet.


These huge pickup trucks look out of place in the city when smaller, more nimble vehicles might be more appropriate.


Americans must love mattress shopping, given the amount of shops across the U.S.A.


I thought the name Peter McManus sounded familiar but it's the café itself that is famous, dating from 1936, making it one of the oldest in the city.



I was just about to buy my daughter, Anja a gift from this shop and they closed it down before I could go inside.


I felt so sorry for these potted plants, clamped and chained by some cruel New York Parking Enforcement Officer for waiting in a prohibited area.


After a long walk around New York I need several of these energy drinks.



I thought the guy on this hoist was giving me a friendly wave as I photographed him, instead he was telling me to get the hell out of his workspace.


And finally, Heidi would like to send all of you her thanks for all of the attention you have paid her throughout the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Last Post

I am now back in Forres, Scotland. I would like to thank everyone I met on my trip from East Coast to West Coast and back again to East Coas...